As a techie and volunteer teacher and mentor from Pune, India, I’m super excited to be a part of Mozilla’s Webmaker community. Teaching digital skills and helping youth get their first taste of what’s so amazing about making, hacking and coding on the Web are why I love what I do.
It’s so rewarding to see kids’ faces light up the first time they “get it.” The realization that the Web is made out of code they can shape and remix and create themselves is life-changing.
It’s like teaching someone a new superpower!
That’s why I’m so excited to invite you to a new free and open online course from Mozilla on how to teach the Web. I hope you’ll join me and other Mozillians from around the world who are just as committed to digital literacy — it’s a great opportunity to exchange knowledge and work together on how to best encourage the next generation of webmakers.
It’s called “Teach the Web.” It will run from May 2 to June 30. And because it’s an open online course, it’s easy to dive in and connect with others at any time. You can participate in weekly guided discussions, tackle hands-on activities, develop and remix teaching resources, and compare notes with other members of the Mozilla community. Together we will:
- explore new ways to teach digital literacy, tech skills and webmaking
- connect with other techies, educators and mentors around the world
- create your own educational resources that help people learn these skills
- get ready for our global Maker Party 2013. From June 15-September 15 we’ll be hosting thousands of community-led events and parties around the world.
The Web is an amazing resource. It gives us all a chance to be creators, makers and inventors. We can look under its hood, tap into its power, and rearrange its building blocks.
Once we know how the Web works, the world is ours to make.
Things I made and learned last summer
- Webmaking http://www.flickr.com/photos/ankitgadgil/sets/72157633314019507/
- Mozilla Summer Code Pune, June 2012 http://www.flickr.com/photos/kinshuksunil/sets/72157630325471864/
- Mozclub SICSR (MSCP), Aug 2012 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ankitgadgil/sets/72157633189460037/
- Popcorn video http://popcorn.webmadecontent.org/yu2
- Thimble intro page https://thimble.webmaker.org/p/ljoj/
- Card for friends’ birthday https://thimble.webmaker.org/p/ljp8/
- Hackasaurus for friends’ birthday http://p.webremixes.org/jruiaobh