New explainer video: creating an open “Web Literacy Standard”
- Learn more. All the web literacy standard links you need are at mzl.la/weblit
- Check our new explainer video. in Popcorn or You Tube.
- Join the next Web Literacy Standard community call. On Thursday, March 7.
- Share your opinion: are these the right pillars for a web literacy framework? “Exploring, Creating, Connecting, Protecting.”
Hive Athens: new webmaking networks keep popping
It started with Hive New York and Chicago, and now its popping up in London, Toronto, Pittsburgh and now Athens, Greece. The first-ever “Hive Athens” drew 100+ kids to 9 different activity stations near the Technopolis for webmaking, massive multi-player thumb wrestling, and (of course) the Harlem Shake. It was also a chance to work with ReMo Training Days to to grow webmaking communities mentor other makers and educators to run their own webmaking events.
- Join the conversation. Through #hiveathens, #webmaker or #remotrainingdays
- Great Hive Athens photos. What does a Hive Pop-Up event look like?
- Host a Hive Pop-Up event in your city. Bring local groups together to play together and start a new network.
- Slide deck. Overall goals and concept.
- Notes. from ReMo Training days (etherpad)
New Webmaker projects: “GIFs Gone Wild” and “Top Five“
“GIFs gone wild.” Instantly combine animated GIFs with music or sound. Mash up animated GIFs with whatever audio you choose to create strange new mutations. Like…
TOP 5. Instantly make your own moving “top five” lists. Use Popcorn to create your own multimedia best-of list. Everybody’s got an opinion — but you’re the expert. Top 5 video games, action movies, places to go on a first date, etc…
Save the date: Mozilla Festival = Oct 25-27, 2013
In London, UK. That’s right! We’re going to be back at Ravensbourne for another amazing mix of making and learning mayhem. Save the date now! More soon.
What’s the best thing you saw on the web this week?
Planet Webmaker round-up…
- Teen Tech Bash. Teens in the Bronx design apps, games and play with Webmaker tools. Hive NYC member Exposure Camp recaps their latest monthly all-nighters.
- Popcorn production wins Canadian Oscar. One Millionth Tower, the NFB’s Popcorn Project that premiered at the 2011 Mozilla Festival, just won a Canadian Screen Award — Canada’s version of the Oscars.
- Hack to the Future. New webmaking project from MOUSE using the X-Ray Goggles
- New UK digital innovation contest for badges. With Technology Strategy Board and Nesta in the UK.